Sunday 1 May 2011

wet and b****y cold

After breakfast and mucho chatting I managed to get on the road by about 1000. I need to do better. The clouds looked ominous and true to form they unleashed their contents on me throughout the day. Riding in a string of thunderstorms with lightening strikes on the ground all around me made me a little nervous. It was obviously worrying the local birds as well since the one that ran into my handlebars could not have been looking where it was going. Perhaps it had been blinded by the lightening flashes. The next bird that flew at me and missed by feet was a bloody great heron. If that had hit then I am sure it would have come off better than me. I arrived at the Brazilian border looking like a drowned rat. They must have taken pity on me since I was through in next to no time.


I have decided that Uruguayans would make excellent adventure motorcyclists in that every item that you take should have 2 uses. As I sped down the road I was amazed the see it widen with a large 210 and what looked like a zebra crossing painted on the tarmac. I was now riding down a runway feeling like I was in an episode of top gear and expecting to see a jumbo jet chasing me.


I made it to Rio Grande by about 1800 and checked into a hotel close to the docks. The area had a slightly sinister feel about it with groups of men hanging around on street corners. Very similar to port areas all over the world though I am more accustomed to seeing groups of women standing around often under a red light.

Agraid no photos today since it was too wet to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment