Sunday 13 December 2009

And now I'm here !


From Cusco it was nothing but an early morning wake up followed by a taxi and a bus, getting herded around like cattle, and finally the train (where I discovered I'd left my tools behind), followed by another bus, and then arrival at Machu Picchu. I must say, this was less strenuous than the last time I visited (4 days on the Inca Trail) but less satisfying too.






But this place isn't the top tourist destination in the Americas for nothing. It's stunning. I ditched the group tour and employed my own guide. The first thing to notice at any Inca ruin is the bloody astounding stonework. No mortar, no metal tools, no JCBs, nothing but alpaca skins and a few thousand workers to fit and lift the multi-ton stones into place. The fit is so precise that even today one can not fit even a sheet of paper in between adjacent blocks.










The climb up Waynapicchu is a bit of an endurance event. I made it in 20 seconds (sorry, I meant 20 minutes). The view from the top though is really gobsmacking. Here I am, literally sitting in a cloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment