Monday 6 October 2014

Flat out on the Dragon and shrinking on the Parkway



Another state closer to Nova Scotia



Definitely the slowest bike on the Dragon's Tail.


A crash that apparently happened only a couple of hundred yards behind me.   The guys friends passed me when I was following an 18 wheeler.  Apparently the ambulance and police have vehicles permanently assigned to the Dragon. 


For part of the route I followed an 18 wheeler.  It was on the wrong side of the road around every bend and I am very surprised that it did not help add to the statistics above.  I can only assume that he was following his satnav. There were loads of bikes on the route and most of them going very fast.  I took a head cam video of part of the Dragon and I have posted this on YouTube with the link below:



From the Dragon and onto the Blue Ridge Trail



First trailer I have seen being pulled by a VStrom



Firstly went through the Smokey Mountains which were stunning


The first time that I have seen a 360 degree bend




It was getting late so I pitched the tent here right beside the road and I thought it great until numerous vehicles started passing.  A Cherokee Native American stopped and told me how to get to the Mile High Campsite some 10 miles away.  I struck camp and followed his directions.  What I did not realise was that he had given me directions for the back way there along a very rough track.


I finally arrived at the camp and everyone there wondered why I did not take the tarmac road straight off the Parkway


and the views from my tent were amazing


We all congregated around the campsite host's caravan and watched the sunset


They even fed me :-)





Never seen a sign barring you from swearing.  This is a very religious area though


That feeling of being in a very religious area was reinforced by this sign.  There is nothing like using a condom machine to spread the word.



The Blue Ridge Parkway was breathtaking




Nina was a Post Doc when I was studying at Dalhousie.  She is now a professor at Virginia Tech but she still loves her muscle cars



Nina's pad.


Pretty tree!!!!


Pretty bloke.  Sorry that is handsome bloke :-)




So much of Virginia has a European look


Very quaint


Skinny man does some exercise


Wow!!!  The person who killed these defenceless animals must be a REAL man.Why else display their heads for the world to see?



Canadian, a hat, an MX5 and a long way from home



Unfortunately I did not have time to stay and partake in a tasting session



The countryside was very much like that in the Surrey Hills



No comments:

Post a Comment