Sunday 12 October 2014

Quite a crowded Atlantic Coast


It might look like a Meccano  project but this is the 4.3 mile long Chesapeake Bay Bridge.  Not as long as the other crossing further to the south that is 20 miles long.


They call themselves the first state of the US since they were the first to sign up to the Constitution.



Must have been a big storm to blow the house away and leave the chimney breast standing.  Either that or the 'moonshine' was a little bit too flammable :-)



At time I imagine that this arrangement has more horsepower that crazy


Dinner at the Cape Henlope




More exercise for the skinny b*****d.  It was a long hard climb to get on top of the fence.  Apparently this can be an OK surfing spot.  Not today though



Triangulation tower used as part of the WWII coastal defences on Cape Henlope


David, Carol, Bob and Brian who provided the evening's entertainment in Lewes, Delaware.


Apparently the best site on the whole of the campground.  Good site from which to go for an exploratory run around the old military camp.  I am truly sad since I enjoy trying to piece together the uses for each building.  Apart from the observation tower there were numerous hardened bunkers.


Mria's name was in the National Parks computer so she paid for the site.  I will be recovering the cost of the site when I return.


Nice smooth crossing from Delaware to New Jersey on the Lewes to Cape May ferry.  My previous riding partner, Alex, would be feeling sick by just looking at these photos


As I rode north through New Jersey from Cape May I tried to get as close to the Atlantic Coast as possible.  Desafortunadamente the area was so heavily built up that there was always a couple of rows of buildings between you and the sea.  Since reaching the east coast the increase in population density was clear to see.


Right at the northern coastal tip of New Jersey is a place called Sandy Hook which was an old military base and is now a state park.  It has views across the bay to New York and enticed me to become a military history sleuth again..  Hooray I hear you all cheer.  More pictures of bunkers, canons and military detritus!!!!


Whilst there I met Tom and Samantha.  They looked after me really well.  Fed me, kept me supplied with beer and persuaded me that riding the following day in the pouring rain was foolhardy and that I should camp there for another day..  Not being one to argue I took their advice.

We went glassing which is going onto the beach and looking foe pieces of glass that over the years have been worn smooth in the sea.  This was my first piece and is slightly less common since the reinforcing wire is still embedded in the glass.  Yellow followed by red are the rarest.  It is interesting to imagine the history of these pieces of glass.  Were they lost from a privateer as it sheltered from a storm in the bay or was the red glass the remains of a ships port hand light?




Old WWII gun emplacement.  During the early stages of recovering bodies from the Twin Towers it was considered as a morgue since it would be easy to chill the bunkers and keep the, cold. 




I told you there would be a picture of a canon.  For those of you with a dislike of acquiring knowledge then I suggest you skip to the next post.





Officers were very privileged.









The oldest continuously operating lighthouse in the USA




The site of a mortar battery.  All mortars would fire simultaneously and just hope that one of them would find a target.










The Parade Ground






Campsite at Sandy Hook for the second night.  Meet Samantha and Tom.  Top people!!


He even let me borrow his truck.  With the camouflaged seat covers etc people were even asking me where the best fishing was and I could tell them about how a skein of geese will send out a couple of pathfinders and that you need to let these pass before opening up on the main body.  Just call me 'Woodsman David'!!!!





View of New York from North Beach, Sandy Hook.

The Peace Tower built on Ground Zero is far left
The Empire State Building is the red one in the centre


The Peace Tower


The Empire State is the tall one in the middle


North Beach


Keeping the tent dry so that I would not have to pack it wet.

From Sandy Hook I had no option but to take interstates in order to get round New York

No comments:

Post a Comment