Wednesday 31 August 2016

Day 4 - Kaza Rest Day and a proper try on the Himalayan

The Deyzor Hotel in Kaza, which is the administrative centre of the Spiti Valley, was a great place to spend our rest day.


After an awesome and healthy breakfast that did not involve curry.  Don't get me wrong I do like the stuff but when eating it for every meal it becomes a little tedious



Around the hotel they had a variety of sayings, proverbs and words of advice.  I can see quite a few of my friends and acquaintances saying that this one applies to me and to be honest I think that it does.


I the local school these students were sitting in the playground and it appeared that they were getting their homework back.  I assume that those that had done badly were those that were required to hold out the palm of their hand which the teacher then gently slapped with a ruler.


This is Tomand which I believe is Thomas in English and he was one of the slapped hand offenders.  I know one other Thomas of school age though for him to hand in substandard homework would mean that he achieved an A instead of an A* and he would probably commit Harakiri as a result.


The plan for the day was to visit a local monastery and a pretty village.  Trying to suck back and not do everything I opted to go in the van rather than take a bike like some of the others did.  It only took 10 minutes to realise that I had made an awful mistake since the road was fantastic.  Try and guess where the corners of my mouth were pointing.


This is the 1000 year old monastery at Sakya.  A great visit except for 3 ignorant Indian men who picked up the ceremonial trumpets and paraded with them as though they were firing bazookas.  All so that they could get a photo of them trying to look macho.  I think they fully achieved their aim.  Not!


From the monastery we continued up to the village of Kibber (4270 metres) which until recently was thought to be the highest road connected village in the world.  Unfortunately, for Kibbertonians, a nearby village was found to be higher.




On the way back we passed this semi completed bridge which when finished would save the village on the other side a 12 hour walk to get round.  It may be sometime being completed since they started building it well over 4 years ago.  I believe that due to its constant use 'manana' is soon to be included in the Hindi language.



Ladies



and a goat looking thing with big horns.




The quality of work these window makers produce in the back streets was amazing.  Anyway once back at the hotel I so wanted to ride back to Kibber that I bent Anand's ear and he let me take the Himalayan out for a couple of hours. I filmed a lot of that ride and if I can be bothered to wait the 8 hour for it to upload I will post it here.  Prepare for death by boredom from excited boy riding a motorcycle :)



Himalayan through Kibber Village and down

No comments:

Post a Comment