Saturday 9 January 2010

Bike scare


Road to San Pedro del Atacama today. Bit of a scare on the way since found that the front wheel bearing was badly worn. Found a mechanic who had closed for the day but agreed to look at my bike. His assessment was that it would last me until Santiago. So on I rode. San Pedro is a real tourist spot and reflected what I found in the rest of Chile. A lot of money for poor service. I thought that having missed riding on the Uyuni salt flats in Bolivia I would be able to ride on the ones outside San Pedro. Unfortunately the terrain made that impossible. This hand is situated in the middle of the Atacama Desert and is the only thing that tells you that having ridden in the desert for the last 4 days you are now in the Atacama Desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment