Friday 20 May 2011

red dust and fun!



My aim today was to use Google directions to get me to Pocone at the start of the Pantanal. Unbelievably I got there without a hitch and ate lunch in cafe situated in a supermarket. I now know where Tecos and Morrisons got the idea from. From just outside Pocone the road turned to red dust but it was easy riding and I was soon inside the park. The terrain was very different from that which I remember from further south in the Pantanal and the land was still very much under water. Boy it was really hot and I needed to find some shade to cool down. The thing is that all flat land lay about 2 feet below the water so when I did find a spot after 20km I decided I would make my camp there and since there was not a cloud in the sky I pitched the tent without the fly. How much was I going to regret that decision! As I looked up from my chores a local just appeared out of the bush and then disappeared in to the undergrowth about 10m from my tent and then reappeared with a bicycle. My observation skills are wearing off!! Anyway he agreed to pose with some of his fish before he started his 25km cycle home. In that heat!!! The fish were not piranah but they had bloody big teath.
This place is a mecca for 'twitchers'. Heron, egret, hornbill, vultures etc etc. The ground is just a maze of paw prints all from the cat family though there are some that are handlike possibly from a possum or something. I should have got a photo of one so those of you from Downunder could identify it for me.
The great thing about the inner of the tent is that it is just netting. Perfect for keeping out the muderous swarms of mosquitos and great for looking at the Southern Cross.




No comments:

Post a Comment